Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Maxis "Lost & Found" #6: Some *completely usless* test objects

by Numenor Posted 12th Mar 2005 at 2:25 PM - Updated 16th Dec 2008 at 1:10 PM by -Maylin-

34 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 32 Feedback Posts, 1 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Instructor
#2 Old 12th Mar 2005 at 2:29 PM
WOW,"USELESS"?

I think not,how about some new lights,wall art. club/rave lights.??????

"S"
V^^^^V
retired moderator
#3 Old 12th Mar 2005 at 2:31 PM
And for textures such as curtains, etc.! A very useful find, indeed.
Firestarter
#4 Old 12th Mar 2005 at 2:37 PM
Thanks, Numenor I think they look totally kewl. They'd be good for futuristic and space stories.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Mar 2005 at 3:53 PM
Eh! I meant "useless as they are": I know that there are *a lot* of ways to use them, once "transformed".

For instance, I'd like to have a neon sign to put on a greek house or a community lot (or a bordello )... if only I could find the time to do it. If anyone creates such a light starting from these meshes, I'll be the first one to download it!
Field Researcher
#6 Old 12th Mar 2005 at 6:40 PM Last edited by psyckotic : 12th Mar 2005 at 6:44 PM.
I use that to my globe animation to know how to animate it. Good for modder to add some material animation. To avoid any duplicate GUID, try to put them in a catalog, it will be better.

They are also in Sims2 without EP.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Mar 2005 at 8:17 PM
Really? LOL! I've never seen the, so I thougt they came with the EP!

What you mean "put them in catalog"? I used the same original GUIDs to avoid duplicating all the files, the textures and so on... In this way the game automatically uses all the original resources (in the package there are only the Object Data files).
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 12th Mar 2005 at 9:09 PM
Those are really cool....i bet people will come up with amazing ways of using them. Thank you very much!
Field Researcher
#9 Old 12th Mar 2005 at 11:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
Really? LOL! I've never seen the, so I thougt they came with the EP!

What you mean "put them in catalog"? I used the same original GUIDs to avoid duplicating all the files, the textures and so on... In this way the game automatically uses all the original resources (in the package there are only the Object Data files).

I made a mistake, put them in a collections.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 14th Apr 2005 at 3:00 AM
What are they? What do you do with them? They just look like weird floating objects.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 14th Apr 2005 at 8:11 AM
They are test objects created by Maxis in order to check how the game renders particular materials. I posted them here hoping that someone would have made something interesting out of them; in their current state they are - as stated in the title - useless.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 14th Apr 2005 at 9:20 PM
????????useless??????????
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#13 Old 15th Apr 2005 at 1:36 AM
In their current state. I'm still waiting for someone creative enough to make something interesting out of them
Field Researcher
#14 Old 16th Apr 2005 at 12:26 AM
Very strange objects....
#15 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 1:31 PM
it is cool man make more cool thinks
Test Subject
#16 Old 30th Apr 2005 at 5:47 PM
ufo attack..code the things so the sims are scared of them and make them fly througth your house every now and then...
that would been fun, but i cant code/mod anything...
#17 Old 4th May 2005 at 12:05 AM
:sink: Useless?!?!!!!????

I could use this for airport runways or carnival decorations!
Test Subject
#18 Old 8th May 2005 at 11:35 PM
I Saw Something Like This In An Art Gallery In Toronto Once... They Are Pretty Cool, Even If They Have No Interactions, They Make, A Conversation Piece

My Signature Sucks...
Field Researcher
#19 Old 19th May 2005 at 7:58 PM
Levitating spheres useless? Okay, so basicaly they are, but they're so *decorative*! :lovestruc
Instructor
#20 Old 10th Jun 2005 at 5:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
In their current state. I'm still waiting for someone creative enough to make something interesting out of them

I can think of only a select few with a practical sense of asthetics and recognition for creative purpose whom I believe are creative at heart - and you are one of those people. How can anyone with that avatar not be, especially in fantasy?

How about imbedding/sandwiching(?) them in your invisible walls? Is that one possibility of 'use'? Maybe even recolored in pure colors?

Just a thought,

HD
Test Subject
#21 Old 16th Jun 2005 at 11:36 AM
Thank you very much.
I from korea
MTS2! wonderful !
#22 Old 3rd Jul 2005 at 2:57 AM
It reminds me of the lights on a wall before......too bad it can't glow....can it?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#23 Old 3rd Jul 2005 at 9:58 PM
They can glow... if modified in a suitable way
Field Researcher
#24 Old 11th Aug 2005 at 4:14 PM
Beautful. Amazing for the imaginative.. like me!
Field Researcher
#25 Old 21st Aug 2005 at 6:04 AM
hey, they aren't worthless! If you have a good enough imagination, they aren't at least lol
Page 1 of 2