Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Maxis "Lost & Found" #1: Floral modern sofa

by Numenor Posted 12th Dec 2004 at 9:35 PM - Updated 20th Mar 2009 at 1:45 PM by -Maylin-

56 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 53 Feedback Posts, 2 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 3
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 12th Dec 2004 at 9:38 PM
I actually like it. Those are actually my favorite colors. Thanks will test it out.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 12th Dec 2004 at 9:39 PM
I dont mind it either Ill test it to
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#4 Old 12th Dec 2004 at 9:40 PM
Apparently the GUID refers to a mesh group, not a full object. In a 3D program you can break any object down to many mesh groups to get a separate texture applied to each.

I'll be happy to test for you. It's... lovely :D
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 12th Dec 2004 at 9:43 PM
I love it...it looks like my mother's set
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 12th Dec 2004 at 9:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RGiles
Apparently the GUID refers to a mesh group, not a full object. In a 3D program you can break any object down to many mesh groups to get a separate texture applied to each.

RGiles, I was hoping you would read my post and give me an advice, thanks.
In this case, if I have understood your hint, there should be a MATD for the frame and another one for the sofa itself, but I find 2 MATDs for each frame color, and 2 MATDs for each fabric decor...
On the contrary, many other 2-parts objects have just one: look at the cribs, for instance (BTW, the one you made is very... creepy! ): they have just 1 reference for each frame and 1 for each bedding...
It's really confusing...
#7 Old 12th Dec 2004 at 10:19 PM
Hmm... interesting. I'll have a look and compare it to what's in the OBJD database, and maybe that will give us a better clue.
#8 Old 12th Dec 2004 at 10:27 PM
OK, on this sofa the deal is that GUID 0xB8DB30F0 refers to the loveseat version and GUID 0xFB94682F refers to the full length sofa... that is, in the OBJD database. However they both have the same internal name, which is the internal name that relates most directly to the sofa. So Updating the Sofa GUID one should have retextured both. Is this correct?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 12th Dec 2004 at 10:29 PM
Hmm... interesting. I'll have a look and compare it to what's in the OBJD database, and maybe that will give us a better clue.

Found something: both GUIDs related to the sofamodernsteelfram_cres are described in OBJD as sofa modern, BUT if you look at chairlivingadirondack_cres, one of the GUIDs (0xE437026F) is described in OBJD as "Edith tutorial" :mad:
They have left behind some uncorrectly referring MMATs just to let us go mad about them...!
#10 Old 12th Dec 2004 at 10:35 PM
Well in the case of the Sofa, one honestly is the loveseat version, which obviously doesn't require its own MMAT. But at least it refers to a real object

I guess the answer is, if in doubt, look up the correct object name/GUID in the OBJD database.

If it's a Sofa/loveseat/chair set, look up the largest of them, and it will likely retexture the full set.

RG
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 12th Dec 2004 at 10:40 PM
If it's a Sofa/loveseat/chair set, look up the largest of them, and it will likely retexture the full set.

Yes, I think you're right. Learned a new thing.
Besides, I should read with more attention the OBJD descriptions. Thanks
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 2:19 PM
works like a charm!

it's so cool that you decided to make a design that Maxis had given up on
Field Researcher
#13 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 2:22 PM
works fine. No problems in game at all Thanks
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 7:26 PM
I actually like the colors, I don't know why Maxis abandoned it. (Or maybe I am jst that desperate for new stuff - i dunno) but thanks anyway.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#15 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 8:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Celtic_Coonass
I actually like the colors, I don't know why Maxis abandoned it. (Or maybe I am jst that desperate for new stuff - i dunno) but thanks anyway.

The colors aren't bad, indeed; I think Maxis left it out as it was supposed to be a decor for the modern sofa, so it doesn't match the style of the furniture.
I've tried to apply this decor to other (more classical) sofas, but there is a problem: we can't see it, but behind the pillow, on the back of the seat, there is a dark rectangle (maybe the shadow of the pillow). the other sofas have a higher back, so the shadow shows up and it's not a beautiful sight...
Forum Resident
#16 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 9:48 PM
Very Beautiful Flora Sofa Nice Job.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 11:03 PM
The colors are really great. Good job. I will definitely be using this. Thanks.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 11:11 PM Last edited by chandonsparkles : 14th Dec 2004 at 4:19 PM. Reason: Want to thank for making item
Thank you
This reminds me of little old ladies who live in 'Boca'! Now someone just needs to figure out how to make it covered with clear plastic!

I think these sofas are cool, sorry I didn't mention that before. Thanks
Field Researcher
#19 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 11:04 AM
Thanks for these, my partner thinks they'll go great in his 'Keeping up Appearences' house. I wonder if Maxis have left any other 'hidden' little treasures like these?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#20 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 1:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wirelessguy
Thanks for these, my partner thinks they'll go great in his 'Keeping up Appearences' house. I wonder if Maxis have left any other 'hidden' little treasures like these?

They have, but sometimes they aren't usable. Currently I've discovered a new color for the big barbecue, but the texture seems unfinished; and a hidden "alpha" texture for the cheap barstool, but it seems that the barstool don't need it anymore.
Test Subject
#21 Old 15th Dec 2004 at 9:24 AM
The pic doesn't do it justice,it looks really pretty in the game,Thanks.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 16th Dec 2004 at 10:00 PM
I think it's pretty too...so I'm going to try it
Thank you
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 16th Dec 2004 at 11:00 PM
thank you so much...im using these in my country cottage houses
Test Subject
#24 Old 18th Dec 2004 at 8:23 AM
Love it.

Trish
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 4th Jul 2005 at 4:14 AM
that thing would look awsome with black cushions and silver frame, I'm downloading it though, still kinda nice.
Thanks for finding and sharing!
Page 1 of 3