Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 2:42 AM Last edited by tiggerypum : 11th Nov 2006 at 10:42 AM.
PETS ACCESSORIES, Everyone please test for this glitch
We're now up to eight of us (at least) have seen a bug so far where the eyeglasses no longer display properly in the actual gameplay area - nightlife googles are pretty obvious in the display issues, on other eyeglasses you might need to look carefully for the 'bleed through' - which will only happen when 2 parts of the accessory are very near each other. As you rotate around your sim, the odd display will change...

Note, the glasses will look perfect in CAS and bodyshop, but not in gameplay.

If you have pets, will you please take a quick look and see if you can see the display issues, and comment here, with your video card info if you can. Want to help Maxis to fix this, so the more tests we get, the better!

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Advertisement
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 3:47 AM
Maxis glasses (several pairs) deform for me as well

my graphics card is a Radeon 9250

For all of my creations and more free downloads please visit Exnem Sims
Grand Re-Opening NOW!!!
Come join our Banner Contest Today!!
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 3:52 AM
And here are my samples

The blue lens bleeds through the white arm of these Maxis glasses - but only in game - works fine in bodyshop and cas, as you can see

Geforce fx 5500 video card. Everything was fine until I installed pets.
Screenshots

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 3:59 AM
ronyu02 tested on two different PCs, and got similar results, one shown below
Screenshots

Moderator of Please Read the Help FAQs
retired moderator
#5 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 5:50 AM
I have an NVIDIA GeForce 6800. Don't seem to be having the clipping problem but I'll test with a few more sims and see if I get it.
Screenshots

Please do not PM me with Game or Site Help questions. Post them in the appropriate section after going through the FAQs.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." ~ Verbal Kint, The Usual Suspects
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 6:53 AM
Hi all, I think this might be the same bug. I have a left and right pic in orange tint.
I am running with NVIDIA GF 6200 v9.1.47 Hope this helps. - Gracie
Screenshots
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 8:30 AM
Juliana, your picture is perfect. Look at the google closest to us. Notice how part of the circle is missing - because the goggle behind it is bleeding through. You're having the problem also.

I want to thank everyone so far for posting pics and cards. This is not limited to a certain card or brand, it seems.

Lab Assistant
#8 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 8:53 AM
I have an Nvidia FX 5900 and my glasses appear ok but the NL goggles have always clipped sims heads for me.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 9:05 AM Last edited by ronyu02 : 1st Nov 2006 at 9:14 AM.
For reference, I tested on a desktop with Nvidia GeForce4 MX 4000 and a laptop with an Intel graphics card (in my pic tiggerypum posted above), both having Pets and this glitch.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 10:29 AM Last edited by tiggerypum : 1st Nov 2006 at 10:34 AM.
Xianah, this is NOT about slightly clipping sim's heads - I would imagine with certain styles of hair that would happen. ( I noticed that on the band that goes around the head on the goggles especially)

This is about display problems - somewhat small if you stare at the Maxis glasses - where the lens bleeds through the frame - or the goggles, where the back goggle shows through the front one... If you look carefully at my 2 screenshots of the white glasses with the blue lenses, you can see that the blue shows 'on' the white arm of the glasses, where it should be white.

More obviously the ramifications of this seemingly small set of 'glitches' is on my hat as an accessory in this other thread: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=200331

Stupid people are stupid
#11 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 1:47 PM

Same problem here. I have a Ati Radeon x800 Pro.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 6:48 PM
Aww, poor Sim Sample seems to be suffering this phenomenon too:

Even his 'regular' glasses have the problem:

My card is an NVidia GeForce FX5200, with the NVidia 84.21 drivers.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 10:19 PM Last edited by shannanisims : 1st Nov 2006 at 10:24 PM.
I don't have pets, but I asked Wind to check my accessories. All of the ones she looked at were fine in her game... so I started thinking that its the morphing that is causing the problem. Because I made mine so they don't morph when you change the facial features... and the Maxis glasses do.

The other reason I have this suspicion is that Bodyshop doesn't have the morphing... which may explain why it looks ok there, but not in the game itself.

So those are my thoughts... do with them as you will.

TSR Featured Artist
Monster Party Sims2... ITS ALIVE! :D

You may recolor my object meshes here on MTS2, but do not redistribute the meshes.
Link people here to MTS2 to get them. Objects can only be available in lots submitted to MTS2.
Instructor
#14 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 11:27 PM
Default I found only minor access. issues but found something else
After I read this thread, I dutifully went into one of my lots where I knew both residents had always worn glasses. I went through several pair of maxis glasses before I saw a minor display issue, one maxis, one custom. But ironically when I went into the lot to check, the first thing I saw was my sim picking up what was evidently a levitating dish, that's new. then a minute later, his spouse put a dish away and it displayed just fine, also her outfit suddenly looked odd and so did her maxis hair. I am running Radeon 9600 video card. I am only mentioning the other display issues because I found them when I went in to specifically check for the glasses. I had my sims move around and change facial expressions and that seemed to make no difference with the glasses. Hope this helps.
Screenshots

I'm eleven hundred and twenty-years-old, jus' gimme' a frikkin' beer!
Field Researcher
#15 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 11:41 PM Last edited by windkeeper : 2nd Nov 2006 at 12:22 AM.
Default Possible fix!
I spent several hours comparing my custom accessories, those that worked with those that didn't, and I think I finally found one setting that fixed the problem with my bunny ears. See how the non-updated ears overlap in the picture while updated yellow ears don't.

In Material Definition under cMaterialDefinition tab change the Type from StandardMaterial to SimStandardMaterial.

This still needs to be tested, I would appreciate any input on that.

Wind

*Edit* Warning about the fix! I just applied the fix to another mesh and the texture mapping got screwed. This requires more testing, or new texture mapping for some meshes.
Screenshots
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 2nd Nov 2006 at 12:18 AM
obsessisim - you have to look at the eyeglasses from an angle behind the sim - to see it - the arm of the frame has to visually be overlapping the lens of the glasses (which is why it's usually not noticable). At that point, there is usually a display glitch so that the lens shows on that spot instead of the frame. None of your pictures of the eyeglasses are at an angle that could show the error.

shannanisims and windkeeper - I'm going to try and fix my hat and see if either change makes a difference - my hat does morph -- but still, this is a maxis bug with the game if all their own accessories do this, and a fix would solve a lot of problems.

Field Researcher
#17 Old 2nd Nov 2006 at 12:29 AM
I agree, tiggerypum, this should be Maxis fix. But it's nice to have our own way to fix the problem in case Maxis never gets around.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 2nd Nov 2006 at 1:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tiggerypum
shannanisims and windkeeper - I'm going to try and fix my hat and see if either change makes a difference - my hat does morph -- but still, this is a maxis bug with the game if all their own accessories do this, and a fix would solve a lot of problems.

I totally agree! Hopefully they will fix it, but in case they don't at least we figured out what is causing the problem.

TSR Featured Artist

You may recolor my object meshes here on MTS2, but do not redistribute the meshes.
Link people here to MTS2 to get them. Objects can only be available in lots submitted to MTS2.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 3rd Nov 2006 at 8:37 AM
It's uhm, worse even than just this accessory issue:

Take a look at the bodyshop issues folks are having with pets:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?p=1457992

Lab Assistant
#20 Old 3rd Nov 2006 at 9:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by shannanisims
I don't have pets, but I asked Wind to check my accessories. All of the ones she looked at were fine in her game... so I started thinking that its the morphing that is causing the problem. Because I made mine so they don't morph when you change the facial features... and the Maxis glasses do.

The other reason I have this suspicion is that Bodyshop doesn't have the morphing... which may explain why it looks ok there, but not in the game itself.

So those are my thoughts... do with them as you will.

But CAS has morphing hasn't it? And CAS displays no problems.
Instructor
#21 Old 3rd Nov 2006 at 9:30 AM Last edited by marvine : 3rd Nov 2006 at 9:46 AM.
Windkeeper,
about changing the StandardMaterial type to SimStandardMaterial screwing up the uv-mapping: it seems to me that this may well be another Pets EP bug...
I use to do this to change the appearance of accessories and never had a single uv-mapping issue - for example, to have my satyr ears match the skintone perfectly; editing the specularity and - um, stuff (sorry, I'm at work now and can't take a look at a file lol) isn't enough, the two material types behave very differently. But I can't fathom why this would mess with the uv-map... Now I'd be interested in taking a look at the screwed uv-map, maybe the way it changed could be some kind of indication?

Shannanisims,
About the morphing of accessories: unless I'm mistaken about what you mean, Bodyshop does have it, or my version does... Deformable accessories deform with the face, and not deformable ones - well, don't. Anyway I've been reported that my deformable accessories work fine with Pets, but I'll ask people to look more closely for possible transparency issues.

Tig, I'm having the issue you just mentioned - T-shirts made with Pets displaying under "hair" as a full body nude mesh... *sigh*

Marvine and Beosboxboy at InSIMenator.net and Gay Sims Club 2
Field Researcher
#22 Old 3rd Nov 2006 at 6:33 PM
I'm using an nVidia GE Force 6800 and have not noticed anything wrong with the eyeglasses I have. However, I noticed that certain accessories like jewelry, piercings, start glowing every time I enter the game, so I have to take them out.

Other problems include certain sleeveless clothing bleeding through the arms of my sims, sims not looking like they're supposed to once you set them down on a lot after choosing them in CAS, and more recently, at least a couple of people have mentioned that my two latest downloads made in Pets Body Shop are not showing up in their games. In one case, the short-sleeve sweaters showed up under hair.

Shannanisims, your Witch Hat and Cateye eyeglasses are working perfectly in my game, I'm happy to report.

Once a tightly-furled bud, the house was slowly revealing itself to him, its petals unfolding to expose its secret beauty. ~When Shadows Whisper, P.1|Part 4|MSR Story List & FAQ|MSR Graphics
Field Researcher
#23 Old 3rd Nov 2006 at 9:03 PM
Thanks for the info, marvine. PM me if you'd like to see the files. I didn't look closely into the uvmapping problem, and after reading the info about Bodyshop issues I think I'm just gonna sit quietly for now and hope that angry mob will force Maxis to release a patch soon!

I have also tried Shannanisims suggestion - created a new non-morph recolor for my accessory mesh, but that didn't fix the problem, only changing type of material helped.
Demon Sheep
retired moderator
#24 Old 3rd Nov 2006 at 9:20 PM
I have an ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON 9000 and am seeing the same problem. As you can see in these pics, the glasses look normal from the front and sides but when you look from behind, the lens overlaps the frame.

I've also experienced the bug ephemera_transient_msr mentioned where you make a custom sim and pet in CAS and the sim's face turns into a standard Maxis face in game. But that's probably a separate issue.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#25 Old 4th Nov 2006 at 4:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ephemera_transient_msr
Shannanisims, your Witch Hat and Cateye eyeglasses are working perfectly in my game, I'm happy to report.

Thats a relief!! Yeah after more experimenting Wind found that my initial thoughts of it being a morph problem were incorrect (not a big surprize... I'm a lousy Techie. LOL!) but that it is the Material setting. I'm going to go back and double check all my accessories to be certain.

But I see there are way bigger issues with hair and clothing now.
Good grief... you'd think Maxis would double check these things.
Its not like its only effecting custom stuff. Its their stuff too!!

TSR Featured Artist

Locked thread | Locked by: tiggerypum Reason: Glitch verified, recommended fix in the faq/infocenter
Page 1 of 2