Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Feb 2006 at 8:44 PM
Default A free alternative to photoshop
I was browsing the internet for some applications, and i found this nifty program called Paint.NET. It can do about everything photoshop can do, and, best of all, It's free!

So, check it out!

http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/

(btw, if you don't have the .NET framework 2.0 installed, you need to download the package that contains it.)

PS-Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this in, I'm not completely sure where to put it
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 3rd Feb 2006 at 11:58 PM
this looks neat!One question though-is it legal soflware or is a copy of the actual paint thing?
Forum Resident
#3 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 12:18 AM
That is a good alternative, considering how terribly expensive photoshop is, if it is simaler to photoshop, It should be easy for me to use, as I know how to use photoshop. (Just can't afford it!)
Scholar
#4 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 12:59 AM
Isn't that a free trial? I got that once but it has long expired
Forum Resident
#5 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 1:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by zookini77
Isn't that a free trial? I got that once but it has long expired

Try downloading a version that doesn't say beta next to it. The beta ones are the ones still in testing and therefore will expire after 30 days. You can get version 2.5 right now and it should not expire.
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 2:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by [west_40]
this looks neat!One question though-is it legal soflware or is a copy of the actual paint thing?

It's legal, because it isn't really photoshop, it just has some of the same features. It can do recolors also, of course
Test Subject
#7 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 3:06 AM
It's a very friendly program.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 3:23 AM
It actually started as a project by some students at Washington State University. It is open source which means that the code is available to download and modify, if you wish.
Feeder of Cheesecake to Llamas
retired moderator
#9 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 3:50 AM
Does it do layers? That's essential. BTW, anyone who knows how to recolor using other programs is welcome to try their hand at tutorials or add-ons to existing tutes.

"Living well is the best revenge. . ." George Bernard Shaw
Original Poster
#10 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 4:50 AM
Yes it does do layers.
Test Subject
#11 Old 5th Feb 2006 at 2:23 AM
Looks cool but Ive been using photoshop for so long
I got it with Creative Suite 2 from Adobe

I might try it out, but usually photoshop will have something over it

System Specifications:
Pentium 4 521 DualCore 2.8GHz w/ HT, EMT64
1GB DDR2 566MHz Corsair Memory
Intel Extreme Graphics 82945G 128MB
SigmaTel HD 24bit Sound Card
80.0GB 7200RPM SATA Western Digital
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 20th Mar 2006 at 5:21 AM
Can verify that the program works really well. Mine isn't the trial version either. I'm new to this, but I've been able to find all the tools in the Photo/Paint tutorials from MTS2 in ithe program. Layers/hue etc. avail. A bit complicated to use if you're a newbie like me. (No help avail).
retired moderator
#13 Old 20th Mar 2006 at 12:46 PM
That's good to know. Anyone who uses this program, feel free to offer help!

Forum Resident
#14 Old 20th Mar 2006 at 1:22 PM
Will definitely check it out! Thanx for the info!

~ Syn
Test Subject
#15 Old 22nd Mar 2006 at 7:58 PM
Please mind that it does not with Mac. BTW, would you know any free- shareware for us Mac users who can't afford the real Photoshop stuff either?
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 22nd Mar 2006 at 11:11 PM
How about Gimp?

Does everything.In fact,alot of people reckon its better than photoshop.Ive never tried Photoshop so i cant really judge but i do have The Gimp,and after doing a few tutorials to help me with the interface,i wouldnt use anything else. It does layers, filters, custom brushes,and my fav part is animated gifs are so easy to make.Theres a huge fanbase and helpful site.

http://www.gimp.org/

and it cost nothing.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 22nd Mar 2006 at 11:17 PM
So far, it's worked just as fine as photoshop would with my recoloring needs. Glad it does layers, as it helps a whole lot. Also, I believe you can get the new version, 2.6 without it expiring after 30 days.
retired moderator
#18 Old 23rd Mar 2006 at 1:49 PM
I added links to image programs in the skinning links thread stickied at the top of the forum. It looks like version 2.6 is free (donations accepted) and there seems to be some actual user support on the site. Anyone who uses a program other than Photo Shop is more than welcome to start a "hints and tricks" thread about that program.

Lab Assistant
#19 Old 2nd Apr 2006 at 11:43 AM
Thank you so much for this :moose:
I have GIMP and have no idea how to use it, so I'm hoping this is something easy to use. :nod:
Field Researcher
#20 Old 3rd Apr 2006 at 6:24 PM
I'm new to all this, so if i ask a stupid question, I apologize. Getting this far was quit a undertaking, anyways, when I went to d/l this, it said to get the "netframework" here, when I click on it, it said d/l paint with framework, so do I still need to get framework, or does it come with the d/l? And can it be used to recolor skin tones? Some times all this goes over my head. Thanks for the help.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 6th Apr 2006 at 5:39 AM
Troubledgirl you can download Paint.Net with or without the .NET Framework 2. Do a search on your compuer for .NET Framework 2. If it is not listed then you need it. Download the one that has both.

Toto...we're not in Kansas...anymore

My other favorite sites Spiffy Sims , Sims Fashion Barn and Betsys Little Sim Shoppes Great free downloads.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 7th Apr 2006 at 10:15 AM
I made some recolour with PhotoFiltre. When I downloaded it, it was free, I donĀ“t know now.
http://www.photofiltre.com

Visit (site in portuguese):
http://www.thesims2elitte.kinghost.net/
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#23 Old 7th Apr 2006 at 2:51 PM
PhotoFiltre says it is now shareware, 25 euros. You probably have a free trial period, and it looks like it supports layers, so it might be a powerful yet inexpensive candidate. I didn't check all the specs.
Instructor
#24 Old 15th Apr 2006 at 11:16 PM
Thanks, works like a dream!
Test Subject
#25 Old 17th Apr 2006 at 9:29 PM
Than You for finding this program. I am on a fixed income (SSI) And I can't afford most of the editing programs that are available as I'm sure alot of other Simmer can't as well. It looks like a very nice program. I downloaded the trial version of paintshop Pro X But I just can't get it figured out. Alas, I'm afraid it's beyond the realm of my abilities to understand. Anyone know where to find an easy to understand tutorial for it?

[I]Carolyn Moore
[I][email protected]
Page 1 of 2