Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Gunmod's Radiance Light System 2.2 BETA RC1

by Chocolate Pi Posted 22nd Feb 2006 at 3:46 AM - Updated 16th May 2009 at 10:24 AM by Numenor : Updated info and links

392 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 391 Feedback Posts
Page 12 of 16
The ModFather
retired moderator
#276 Old 5th Nov 2006 at 5:50 PM
The colours you are looking for can be edited in the lighting.txt file, located in (programs)\EA Games\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Lights

The sections to modify are the following (in bold, the RGB values that you can change):

####################################################################################
# Daytime
####################################################################################
lightingState day
control -edith true
skylight (.8,.8,1) .3 # Neighborhood terrain, interior sun light; affects shadows
light sun (-1.2, 1.5, 1.5) (1,1,1) 1.4 # overall sun glint color - affects neighbor objects as well
light sky (-1.2, 1.5, 1.5) (.8,.8,.9) .25 # overall sun color mixes with everything including shadows
light fill1 (-1.2, 1, 1.5) (.8,.8,.95) .15 # extra sunlight coloring

---------------------------------------------------------------

###################################################################################
# LOT MORNING
###################################################################################
lightingState morning
control -edith true
skylight (.7,.3,.5) .15
light sun (0, -2, 2) (.8,.4,.6) .15 # 10
light sky (0, -2, 2) (.8,.4,.6) .04 #2:00
light fill1 (0, -2, 2) (.8,.4,.6) .015 # 5
light fill2 (0, -2, 2) (.8,.4,.6) .005 # 7

# EVENING # To Do
lightingState evening
# lightMap $nhoodLightMapID -strength 1
control -edith true
skylight (.8,.45,.45) .4 # Neighborhood terrain, interior sun light; affects shadows
light sun (-2, 1.5, 1) (.8,.5,.5) 1.5 # overall sun glint color - affects neighbor objects as well
light sky (-2, 1.5, 1) (.7,.4,.4) .25 # overall sun color mixes with everything including shadows
light fill1 (-2, 1, 1) (.75,.4,.4) .15 # extra sunlight coloring

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#277 Old 5th Nov 2006 at 10:00 PM
Last night I actually installed Chesspieceface's version of the mod that uses the native shaders, and, oddly enough, it seems to be working fine now. I would think that the shaders had something to do with it, but I don't know whether or not 2.1 used native shaders, as well?

I can only assume that the problem was something that's present in both 2.1 and 2.2, but isn't in Chesspieceface's, although I obviously can't say for sure what is was. Anyway, I can't complain since it's working now, but I suppose it's something, in case someone else happens to have the same problem.

Went over the sea, what did I find?
A thousand crystal towers, a hundred emerald cities.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#278 Old 5th Nov 2006 at 10:35 PM
As far as I know, Chesspieceface's modified Radiance differs from the "official" one by these two elements:
1) It uses the Maxis shaders (just like the version installed using the Scriptorium)
2) The "setf roomLightingType" value in the lighting.txt is set to 4, instead of 2

Both these things affect the way the objects are hit by the indoor light. I'm glad that you managed to solve your problem.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Test Subject
#279 Old 7th Nov 2006 at 3:46 AM
I just had a quick question. Since this is just a beta...are there going to be anymore updates on this? Its really amazing and I love this mod, but I was just wondering. Thanks for the help =)

~Starman4016~
The ModFather
retired moderator
#280 Old 7th Nov 2006 at 10:17 AM
GunMod is no longer available, so there won't be any "official" update. But since it works quite fine, I guess that we can keep it as is...

Test Subject
#281 Old 7th Nov 2006 at 3:25 PM
Ohh yah, I remember reading that. Yah this mod works great =) Thank you for answering my question Numenor.
Test Subject
#282 Old 7th Nov 2006 at 9:53 PM Last edited by amileegirl : 7th Nov 2006 at 10:00 PM.
I noticed today that when using the shader file (in the startup.cheat provided with version 2.2) it turns off the fish in the fish tanks. I was looking for a fix as I recall it being an issue after the OFB install and shaders need to be on in order to see the fish.

I personally rather have the fish than the pool effect since I don't have that many pools. I guess its related to the bumpmap thing.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#283 Old 7th Nov 2006 at 10:08 PM
Then just remove the line "useMaxisshaders false" from the startup.cheat

Lab Assistant
#284 Old 28th Nov 2006 at 4:06 PM
I wanted to send a thank you to the official Chocolate Pi post since this is the version that I'm trying to upload now.

Again, thank you GunMod, Chocolate Pi and Numenor!!
Mad Poster
#285 Old 29th Nov 2006 at 4:21 PM
too much issues REMOVED !

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

* Plus j'échoue plus je m'approche de la réussite
* The more I fail the more I approach the success

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Lab Assistant
#286 Old 30th Nov 2006 at 2:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by patul
too much issues REMOVED !

Patul, if you are still looking at this thread? What is the problem that you are experiencing? I may be able to help you on that one since I have just come out of a funk myself with this. Trust me, you will probably feel the same way as I did if it is the same problem that I had (Thanks Numenor...). LOL!! And I have a very slow computer, but it works fine for me with either version (2.1 or this one).

So, let me know what it is that you are having issues with and you will probably be able to enjoy it along with everyone else.
Lab Assistant
#287 Old 30th Nov 2006 at 2:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
First, be sure that you have the lighting to max, in the graphic option panel.
If you already have it to max, then you can just accept the darkness as is: there is not a setting to raise the overall light level; in order to make everithing brighter, someone should edit one by one *all* the lamps, windows, arches etc... included in this mod.

Oh, why wait. Patul, you know how you don't like to read everyone's post because it may be like a million pages long, so you just download and try to figure it out yourself? Well, that's what I did and if I had read all the posts, I would have seen this one earlier explaining why mines didn't work. I was actually in the 2.1 version trying to get this fixed, so Numenor had to explain this to me again, when all I had to do was read the time consuming posts.

Yes, depending on the speed of your computer, it will run slower because that's what I'm temporarily going through, but if you can bear it, then it will be all worth the mod. Try the Scriptorium by Numenor.

1. Install at "Original Maxis Lights" option.

2. Go into your (GAME install dir) EA GAMES/The Sims 2/TSData/Res/Catalog/Scripts/Scriptorium_Backup folder and completely delete the lighting.txt file.

3. Run the Scriptorium again, and this time select whatever version that you want to use for your game (supports v2.1 and v2.2).

4. Set your lighting effect to at least medium in order to see it in the game.

That should do the trick (Thanks Numenor, again. ). If I'm missing something, please intervene!!

-
Lab Assistant
#288 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 9:42 AM
Nice hack.. But why do the PieMenu faces turn completely black? Is this a known issue (I've read the thread but only found something relating to black icons, and the solution for this didn't work for me)
I used Scriptorium to install radiance 2.2.. (un/reinstalled multiple times) but the faces in the pie menu continue to be black o.o
The ModFather
retired moderator
#289 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 3:34 PM
I've heard about this problem once, but I don't remember exactly how to solve it...
I think it is caused by the corruption of some files *not modified* by the Radiance, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, try this:
1) use the Scriptorium, and choose the option "Original Maxis Lights"
2) start the game and check if it works fine (you won't have no Radiance in this test, because the "Original Maxis Lights" gets rid of any Radiance installed)
3) if everything works fine, install again the Radiance using the Scriptorium, and then report here if this fixed your problem, thanks.

Lab Assistant
#290 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 7:37 PM
Hi Numenor,
So, I used Scriptorium and chose "Original Maxis Lights" .. and my game crashed on start up o_o;; Anyway, I backed up my old lighting folders first, before I stared messing around (this is a newly installed copy of the game as well, I haven't fooled around with the game's installation files) and the game loaded/worked as it normally should have

(In case you're wondering Scriptorium only restored "Lighting.txt" .. but my original copies had other files/folders in there)

Hmm, now that I've reinstalled Scriptorium again with the original files intact (I had previously installed radiance lighting manually, then installed scriptorium over top when I found out it didn't work), and now the faces have lighting on them again : D

Thanks Numenor : )
The ModFather
retired moderator
#291 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 8:04 PM
The Scriptorium option "Original Maxis Lights" doesn't restore only the original Lighting.txt, but all the lighting files (in the base game, UNI and NL) that are affected by the various Radiance versions.

So, you installed the Scriptorium Radiance over an existing "manual" Radiance? Interesting... If someone else reports this problem, I'll check if this could be the cause. Thanks for the info.

Test Subject
#292 Old 15th Dec 2006 at 8:07 PM
Does this version change the red look it has around like sunset i guess...because I have the other one and everything in my game looks tinted red when its around that time. I didnt know if was maybe a problem due to my video card or if it was supposed to look red. I also have the problem when a building a house, if there are no windows the rooms are pitch black. I guess thats a normal thing with this mod, but any info about the redness would help. If anyone could tell me I'd appreciate it. And If I should change to this version of it.

Total amount of files in download folder - 23,127
Amount of subfolders - 32
Totat Size - 8.24 GB
~And you thought you were a download junkie...~
~I Love Victor~
The ModFather
retired moderator
#293 Old 15th Dec 2006 at 9:38 PM
From 6PM to 7PM, using this mod, you will have a reddish sunset; from 6AM to 7AM ther is the dawn (also reddish, but much darker).

The pitch black in windowless rooms is intentional: GunMod tried to create a realistic effect (in real life, a closed room with no windows is pitch black).

Using the "Smarter Lights" mod may help: that mod turns on the lights in a room when a sim enters even during the day, if the room has no windows.

Top Secret Researcher
#294 Old 21st Dec 2006 at 6:16 AM
Numenor, I love using the version 2.1 of this hack because the shadow are better in my opinion, this one's shadow is really dark.

My question, how can I make the pool to be as dark as in the version 2.2 by altering the 2.1? Hope you can help .
The ModFather
retired moderator
#295 Old 22nd Dec 2006 at 2:12 AM
V. 2.2 is deeply different (and much more complex) than v. 2.1; what you ask can't be done without rewriting v2.1 (and the result would be much like v2.2...)

By the way, as soon as the Season EP will come out, the Radiance will be dead, so I don't think that anyone will modify or update v. 2.1.

Field Researcher
#296 Old 23rd Dec 2006 at 5:54 AM
I was wondering about this myself. Using 2.2, everything is so very dark. Insides of houses are very dark during the daytime! Turning the inside lights on at that time improves it a bit, but not by very much. At night, the Sims look like silhouettes if they're outside a house (say) and there's little or no outside lighting. I think the Maxis default had moonlight (or whatever) in the latter case. Wonder if 2.1 would work better?

Like a flea circus at a dog show!
The ModFather
retired moderator
#297 Old 23rd Dec 2006 at 8:13 PM
Madness, are you sure you have the "lighting" setting (in the graphic option) set to max? The Radiance is darker than normal game, but it shouldn't be as dark as you describe it...

I think that 2.1 is generally darker than 2.2, anyway.

Field Researcher
#298 Old 24th Dec 2006 at 7:33 AM
Yes, I did have the light option set up all the way. Just went back to the Maxis defaults. Either I'll give 2.1 a try or just wait ~2 months for Seasons.

Field Researcher
#299 Old 24th Dec 2006 at 7:38 AM
For some strange reason, the site will not let me go to page 13 (unlucky? ). But another thought is that it could've been my video drivers. Since I've been plagued w/ the infamous Nvidia video card issue, I had to use a very old version of the drivers (71.09) to keep my game up for more than about 20 minutes.

The ModFather
retired moderator
#300 Old 24th Dec 2006 at 10:40 AM
The forums are being fixed; as for the drivers, I too use a Nvidia card and I avoid upgrading drivers like hell I've settled with v. 77.77 (magic number indeed ) and don't think I will change them until I change my PC -

Page 12 of 16