Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Dec 2023 at 3:48 AM
Default Game Crashes Everytime I Add New Cc
i hope someone has a similar experience with the problem i am facing right now.

so to start off, i have been playing the sims 2 with over 19gb of CC. however, my pc (windows 10) recently is unable to detect my hdd. sims 2 is on my sdd. if im not mistaken lol.

so i have another pc, not very strong compared to the ones i use for the sims 2. so what i did was, i changed the sdd and play like usual. now, the problem is, whenever i add a new CC, doesnt matter if its a small CC, my sims 2 will crash. only at Belladonna tho which is my main neighbourhood. i tried playing at Pleasentview, Desiderata, and the CC i recently added load just fine.

heres what ive tried: 4gb patch, turn off my antivirus, the dvkk thing (?), graphics rules maker.

im thinking it might be my own pc that isnt strong enough? since my previous one works like a charm? anyone? pls help
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 30th Dec 2023 at 9:20 PM
19 GB is a lot, though. And it could depend what the items are.

First of all, try deleting the cache files. If you have a lot of CC, those can cause issues, especially if you add or remove CC.

Second, if you still have the DXVK installed, it may not work very well with a very large amount of CC. Can potentially cause random crashes, so could be an idea to try without.

Third, since it only happens in one hood but not the others, could be a different problem than CC - depending how/when the game crashes. Does it happen when you load the CC in the buy/build catalog, or when you load the neighborhood, or at some other point?

There's a potential limit that some people have noticed when it comes to objects, where if you have a certain amount of meshes (or rather OBJDs - some mods could be affected, too) and try to add more objects, the game will crash. I think the "limit" here seemed to be around 10.000 individual meshes/OJBDs. Haven't come across this myself, but there's been several cases where this seemed to be an issue. If a large amount of your 19 GB is buy/build, that's one potential cause. You can test this by removing some objects, then try to add new objects, and see if the game then crashes. If it doesn't, but again does when you've gone over your game's "limit", then it's possible you have that issue as well. (Only buy/build meshes and some object-related mods seem to be affected, so not recolors and CAS items). This would only really be an issue if the game always crashes, and I can't quite remember if the affected simmers said the game crashes when loading or in the buy/build catalog.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 30th Dec 2023 at 11:24 PM
You have probably reached your object limit and there is nothing for it but to remove some CC objects. CAS does not count and nor do recolour files, only object mesh files.

What I do is have different Sims 2 folders each with their own Download folder. I have a Medieval folder, a Pioneer/Victorian folder, a modern Beach folder and a Maxis Match Modern type folder. So if you have items that you think would be better in separate folders you can get around keeping the CC. Each folder is around 10-15GB. There is no way I could have that all in one folder and since they each have different defaults for the time period I wouldn't want them to be. The modern folders were the hardest but since I really like Beachy/shabby chic type CC I decided that could be its own folder. Some sets cross over, some like BB Niches are in every folder. Also this separation helps keep loading times down.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 31st Dec 2023 at 1:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
19 GB is a lot, though. And it could depend what the items are.

First of all, try deleting the cache files. If you have a lot of CC, those can cause issues, especially if you add or remove CC.

Second, if you still have the DXVK installed, it may not work very well with a very large amount of CC. Can potentially cause random crashes, so could be an idea to try without.

Third, since it only happens in one hood but not the others, could be a different problem than CC - depending how/when the game crashes. Does it happen when you load the CC in the buy/build catalog, or when you load the neighborhood, or at some other point?

There's a potential limit that some people have noticed when it comes to objects, where if you have a certain amount of meshes (or rather OBJDs - some mods could be affected, too) and try to add more objects, the game will crash. I think the "limit" here seemed to be around 10.000 individual meshes/OJBDs. Haven't come across this myself, but there's been several cases where this seemed to be an issue. If a large amount of your 19 GB is buy/build, that's one potential cause. You can test this by removing some objects, then try to add new objects, and see if the game then crashes. If it doesn't, but again does when you've gone over your game's "limit", then it's possible you have that issue as well. (Only buy/build meshes and some object-related mods seem to be affected, so not recolors and CAS items). This would only really be an issue if the game always crashes, and I can't quite remember if the affected simmers said the game crashes when loading or in the buy/build catalog.

yes i have tried deleting the cache, thumbnails, etc. it will crash when i enters a family (5 seconds in, boom! crashes) all family in belladonna tho. not in others neighbourhood. and the CC works wonder on other neighbourhood. im not sure if its space issue since the CC will load just fine in others. im guessing its my PC problem. ill try to change it back and see how it goes. thanks for the suggestion tho. ill try removing the DVKK
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st Dec 2023 at 1:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
You have probably reached your object limit and there is nothing for it but to remove some CC objects. CAS does not count and nor do recolour files, only object mesh files.

What I do is have different Sims 2 folders each with their own Download folder. I have a Medieval folder, a Pioneer/Victorian folder, a modern Beach folder and a Maxis Match Modern type folder. So if you have items that you think would be better in separate folders you can get around keeping the CC. Each folder is around 10-15GB. There is no way I could have that all in one folder and since they each have different defaults for the time period I wouldn't want them to be. The modern folders were the hardest but since I really like Beachy/shabby chic type CC I decided that could be its own folder. Some sets cross over, some like BB Niches are in every folder. Also this separation helps keep loading times down.

ahh i see, but why does it only crashes in BellaDonna and not others neighbourhood is what gets me 🥹 the CC works wonder on other neighbourhood. ive seen someone stated that once they upgraded their PC, crashes rarely happened, they have like more CC than I do tho! so ill try changing back to my previous PC which has better processor, etc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 31st Dec 2023 at 5:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by vunnox
ahh i see, but why does it only crashes in BellaDonna and not others neighbourhood is what gets me 🥹 the CC works wonder on other neighbourhood. ive seen someone stated that once they upgraded their PC, crashes rarely happened, they have like more CC than I do tho! so ill try changing back to my previous PC which has better processor, etc

If it's only certain hoods you might not have reached your object level, depends what type of CC you download. But given how much you have it's reasonable to think you must be close to it so something to keep in mind. I seem to hit it around about 15-16gigs.

Have the crashing hoods had much pink soup? I have found hoods with a lot of water, trees or hood deco are more prone to pink and crashing and even crashing before the pink can be seen. As a test try turning neighbours and/or hood deco off when playing those hoods and see how it goes.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Jan 2024 at 7:28 AM
If it's only certain hoods you might not have reached your object level, depends what type of CC you download. But given how much you have it's reasonable to think you must be close to it so something to keep in mind. I seem to hit it around about 15-16gigs.

Have the crashing hoods had much pink soup? I have found hoods with a lot of water, trees or hood deco are more prone to pink and crashing and even crashing before the pink can be seen. As a test try turning neighbours and/or hood deco off when playing those hoods and see how it goes.

does your game crash when u hit 15-16 gb of CC? if so, does removing some cc cause the crashing to stop?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 1st Jan 2024 at 9:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by vunnox
does your game crash when u hit 15-16 gb of CC? if so, does removing some cc cause the crashing to stop?

Yes, round about then. I also notice loading gets a lot slower. This is why I split my modern CC in two.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 16th Jan 2024 at 4:57 PM

This is confusing to me. Sims2 has *1 download folder. How do you have two? Do you mean subfolders?

Looking for a better way to take care of my CC. Thank you in advance for your response.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 16th Jan 2024 at 5:05 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Jan 2024 at 5:37 PM.
I think what joandsarah77 means is that it's possible to have full folders with separate games inside the EaGames folder in Documents. You can have separate Downloads folders for each game. You can rename the folders depending on which game you want to use.

I've got a few folders set up that way, too. If you play themed games (modern/fantasy/medieval, etc.), you can keep them separate, save on loading time (since you're only loading the CC you're using for that hood), make it easier to find stuff, have different defaults, and so on.

It's a bit like how you can make multiple savegames with the AnyGameStarter, but without needing the setup, and you're using your full game (so no basegame only, or anything like that).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 16th Jan 2024 at 10:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by momshavinfun
This is confusing to me. Sims2 has *1 download folder. How do you have two? Do you mean subfolders?

Looking for a better way to take care of my CC. Thank you in advance for your response.

No I mean I have separate Sims 2 folders with separate download folders. (As Simmer22 said)
All you have to do is go to your sims 2 folder in documents and rename it Depending on your game set up it may be named differently than this. Mine is Documents>EA GAMES>The Sims 2. Right click the sims 2 folder and add a word onto the END so it could be "The Sims 2 OLD" Load your game and the game will make you a new vanilla Sims 2 folder in a fresh unplayed state. So now you have 2 The Sims 2 folders. Very handy to have even for testing CC like say custom foods or CC you grabbed without a picture.

The game only loads the correctly named folder. Some set ups have special tm symbols as part of the name and you never want to remove those. That is why I suggest just adding a word onto the end. Each Sims 2 folder has its own download folder and only that download folder is being loaded.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#12 Old 17th Jan 2024 at 2:30 AM
Adding to that, you can also copy a full "The Sims 2" folder, if you want to go a different way with your current game but don't want to start over, or you need to test something and want a temporary backup situation*.

(*These game versions shouldn't be seen as full backups - you have to rename the folders every time, and it can be easy to mess things up if you're not careful, so it's best to do proper backups (away from the computer - harddrive/USB/similar) so you don't accidentally lose any progress).