Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Nov 2023 at 2:19 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Game crashing
Heyy guys , my game is constantly crashing and I can't figure out why. I tried the 4GB patch , and I also removed the 6.1 MB file that everyone mentioned & to no avail.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Nov 2023 at 5:02 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 6th Nov 2023 at 5:34 PM.
- Which system specs do you have? (Operating system, graphics, RAM, etc.)
Posting the DXDiag and the Config log, plus a crash report from your latest crash would help.

- When does your game crash? In buy/build? In CAS? When there's something that's causing lag peaks (skin overlays with weather or supernaturals, CAS buy menu, Change Appearance, sims or NPCs coming/going...), visiting other lots, or anything else?

- Does it crash at the same time, every time?

- Do you have a lot of mods/CC?

- Have you tried running the game in debug mode to see if it generates any errors (if you have mods that are causing a lot of issues, you may be getting errors as warnings before the crashing happens)

- Are the cashing issues new/recent, or have you had the issues since installing the game? If recent, have you done any changes in your game, like adding new CC?

- Are you using any larger mods, like the RPC or similar?

- Any other info?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Nov 2023 at 1:44 AM
When does your game crash? In buy/build? In CAS? When there's something that's causing lag peaks (skin overlays with weather or supernaturals, CAS buy menu, Change Appearance, sims or NPCs coming/going...), visiting other lots, or anything else?

- My game crashes during my gameplay

Does it crash at the same time, every time ?

- Yes , my game crashes every time a certain sim ages up due to story progression

Do you have a lot of mods/CC?

- Yes , my mods folder has been there same size for some time

Have you tried running the game in debug mode to see if it generates any errors (if you have mods that are causing a lot of issues, you may be getting errors as warnings before the crashing happens)

- I'll be trying that tonight

Are the cashing issues new/recent, or have you had the issues since installing the game? If recent, have you done any changes in your game, like adding new CC?

- Yes , before my game would only crash on community lots but that was mostly because of my custom music , any new CC I added recently I already removed from my game. I was just playing for hours a couple weeks ago honestly.

Are you using any larger mods, like the RPC or similar?

- Story Progression
Field Researcher
#4 Old 8th Nov 2023 at 2:19 AM
I suggest joining LD's discord server as that is where you will find support for troubleshooting issues with the story progression mod. This sounds like it's something to do with the mod and potentially a conflict with another mod if it crashes during story progression-related aging.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 8th Nov 2023 at 2:21 AM
Then it sounds like the issue is with Story Progression. In my experience, Story Progression often causes the game to crash during the aging up process, I think it's probably due to loading in every sim in the neighborhood who needs to age up out of world.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Nov 2023 at 3:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Modder
I suggest joining LD's discord server as that is where you will find support for troubleshooting issues with the story progression mod. This sounds like it's something to do with the mod and potentially a conflict with another mod if it crashes during story progression-related aging.

I’m in the discord & the solutions haven’t helped tbh so I came to MTS , I removed all my conflicts that I know of and it’s still crashing
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Nov 2023 at 3:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
Then it sounds like the issue is with Story Progression. In my experience, Story Progression often causes the game to crash during the aging up process, I think it's probably due to loading in every sim in the neighborhood who needs to age up out of world.

If I uninstall would everything be okay ? Or do I have to do a whole new reinstall ?
Mad Poster
#8 Old 8th Nov 2023 at 5:30 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 8th Nov 2023 at 5:55 AM.
Most mods can be removed without having to reinstall (either full or "soft" reinstall, see below), but it is a good idea to read about the mod(s) you install to see if it causes any potential risks to the neighborhood or to sims if removed.

A few mods could cause some trouble (for instance memory mods and similar).

I'm not familiar enough with the Story progression mod to tell if it causes any harm.

Quote: Originally posted by ShaniaNextDoor
If I uninstall would everything be okay ? Or do I have to do a whole new reinstall ?

Generally,

You rarely need to uninstall to fix issues with mods (a few exceptions, though - larger mods that have files going all over the place and replacing files in the install location, where you don't have backups. Lighting mods, replacement default hoods like clean hoods, and similar). Most other mods only affect the save files in Documents.

You really only need to do a full reinstall if install files somehow get deleted/changed or go missing, if the install itself does wrong, you change computer or need to do a full computer reinstall, or restoring install files to default when backups aren't available.

CC issues can usually be fixed without a reinstall. Most of the time the issues are coming from the mod/CC or a conflict between the two or more items, and fixing this will fix the issue.

If the problem is coming from a corruption issue, or removing a mod could cause problems with neighborhood/sim corruption or other issues, resetting the neighborhoods might be something you'll want to do (it's not something that's always necessary, though) - then you can do a "soft reinstall" by renaming your current "The Sims 2" folder in Documents, and running the game. This makes a fresh copy of everything inside the folder and all the starter neighborhoods. Then you can move over your downloads, minus the mods you don't want to keep.

This way you still have a copy/backup of your old game (it's still playable if renamed back to the original name, but make sure to NEVER let the folders overwrite!)
Mad Poster
#9 Old 8th Nov 2023 at 5:39 AM
You can just remove Story Progression, you don't have to regenerate the entire save.