Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jul 2023 at 9:45 PM
Default Cat's Hair Binner Geneticizing and Binning Not Working
Hello! Hopefully this is going in the right section.

I'm having some trouble with Cat's Quick and Easy Hair Binner. In the advanced section of the post it mentions binning and geneticizing hairs properly so that they show up in the correct color versus showing up in the custom hair bin. I cannot find any such option in the program itself. This, I believe, is the source of my problem.

I've messed with all of the available settings, but I can't seem to get hairs that are solely one color (like say, if I you only wanted one color of a hair to show up in your game) to properly link to the elder life stage. I have the appropriate mesh linked in Body Shop, so that when you switch between adults and elders, it links. But after binning a single red hair, for example, it will be properly sorted into the red category of the adult section, but upon switching to an elder, the hair is unlinked, and as an elder, it appears in the custom section. When grouping hairs together, even when not checking "1 grey for all colors," it still links only to one color. I've looked around for any threads or tutorials on how to properly use this program, and all of its settings, but there doesn't seem to be anything that I can find. If anyone can point me in the right direction regarding this program, I would really appreciate it.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 9th Jul 2023 at 11:33 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 10th Jul 2023 at 5:16 PM.
There's (at least) three ways to link up hairs with Cat's binner. And once you've binned them, I've found they don't take very well to rebinning, since the binner removes resources that aren't needed, so it can be a good idea to either tick the "make backup files" button, or to make sure you have untouched versions of the files in case you've done it wrong - at least until you've tested to see if the files are working the way you want them to.

Binned elder hairs all end up in the "grey" bin. Not much to do about that, it's just how the hairs were set up from EAxis. They shouldn't end up under the custom star, though.

"Same family for all 4 colors" gives the same family number to the hairs. When you switch from red to black hair, the hair stays the same.

"1 grey for all 4 colors" means the hair only keeps one grey file, for the color that's ticked to the right (the "black+grey" or "brown+grey", etc.). If you want to use the same grey texture for all 4 colors, you can tick it. If you want to use different grey colors or colored the same as the adult hairs, it needs to be unticked.

The main ways:

1: Separate grey file for elders
- Make separate grey file for elders
- Fill in black/brown/Blond/red as usual
- Fill in the "grey" space with the grey color for the elders
- Tick "Same family for all 4 colors"
- UNTICK "1 grey for all 4 colors"

2a: Different grey colors for elders
- Elders need to have grey textures in different colors
- UNTICK "1 grey for all 4 colors"
2b: Colored elders (probably the one you're after)
- Same as 2a, but elders need to have colored textures.

3: Elders have the same grey texture for all 4 colors, saves some resources.
- Elders need to have grey textures in different colors
- Tick which hair you want the grey to attach to (for this hair family, you WILL need that file to make recolors, and for grey to show up)
- TICK "1 grey for all 4 colors"

"Ages to keep" - pick which ages you want to keep. Don't remove ages in between, and it's better to remove ages at the start, so there aren't any issues with aging.