Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

SMD importer/exporter for blender, Updated Oct 27th

by Bobcatben Posted 28th Aug 2007 at 2:05 PM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 9:09 PM by Nysha

99 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 91 Feedback Posts, 7 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 4
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#26 Old 4th Sep 2007 at 2:28 AM
theres a flash video tutorial a few posts up, as for what it should look like, iam not sure, just that it seems the problem is probably weight related, you can view what weights other working vertices's have, by going in edit mode, and hitting N to pop up the properties window, and if you select single vertices's it there will be a drop down with the bone weights the vertex has.
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 4th Sep 2007 at 3:25 AM
Thanks. I guess I'll just tinker with it until it looks okay.

Is there a way to retain the weights of the vertices in a group even after adding new vertices to it? All I've been doing is extruding vertices already in a group, and then regrouping them. Is this what's messing up all the weight data for each vertex?

Again, thank you for all your help.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#28 Old 4th Sep 2007 at 3:43 AM
if you mean, have the new extruded vertices have the weights of the one they're extruded from, not any automatic that way i know of.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 4th Sep 2007 at 6:17 AM
Aaaah! I'm an idiot!

When I was assigning extruded vertices to a group, I was accidentally selecting the group AS WELL AS the new vertices, which was apparently resetting all the weights in the group to 1.

The faceslap smiley does no justice to how stupid I feel right now...

Thank you so much for helping me (even when the problem was my error! Arrgh!). You're my new favorite person. Thank you thank you thank you!! :lovestruc
Test Subject
#30 Old 5th Sep 2007 at 12:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bobcatben
atomic_hamsters, the problem is likely with quads, sims 2 only uses triangles, i forgot to put a error condition in the exporter if the mesh has any quads in it, the mesh should be converted to triangles before export, by going in edit mode, selecting all(A button), and hitting ctrl + T.

Oh, Duh! I am so used to triangulating on export for .obj that I didn't even stop to think about that. Thanks!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#31 Old 5th Sep 2007 at 4:18 AM
i may add the option to triangulate automatically, i just didn't want to mess something up if people prefer editing with quads.

perhaps having the script make a copy of the mesh, triangulating, exporting then deleting the copy, as a option.
Test Subject
#32 Old 6th Sep 2007 at 11:06 PM
All Right! Just what I needed! Getting into meshing with blender....I need to work on it........
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 30th Sep 2007 at 5:56 PM
OMG im so grateful, i looove free programs, and i've always hated that i couldn't edit animations! Thank you honni!

http://paradox-symphony.deviantart.com

If you like my creations then please rate and comment. I love feedback :D
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 28th Oct 2007 at 12:20 AM
Hey again, bobcatben! Great update for the already ingenious scripts. All the meshes on my site are made with these. :D
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#35 Old 28th Oct 2007 at 6:44 PM
o wow, i had wondered if anyone made any successfully yet, i myself am still working on making one from scratch(not a problem with the script, just lack of creative ability, got the meshing done, and im about 3/4th done with the uv mapping.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#36 Old 5th Nov 2007 at 4:36 PM Last edited by Bobcatben : 5th Nov 2007 at 4:46 PM.
i also recently added some code to the exporter that normalizes bone weights if they don't add upto 1.0,
also confirmed the scripts work on linux.
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 13th Nov 2007 at 3:12 AM
The uvmapping capabilities of blender make these scripts just that much more awesome. I always hated having to struggle with lame uvmapper. >

I would think people would be jumping all over this, but I guess not too many know how to use blender. Oh well. :D
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#38 Old 13th Nov 2007 at 3:27 AM
uvmapping is what im stuck on with my own model for sims 2, that and realistic looking rigging lol
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 13th Nov 2007 at 6:33 PM
Yeah, the uvmapping was ridiculously confusing when I first started out, but now I've got it. :D

I've been making lots of cool objects, now that I can assign verts to joints easily. My simmies have a neat sarcophagus to sleep in now!

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#40 Old 14th Nov 2007 at 3:40 PM
someday i hope someone will update the wiki page for blender that says it cant do animated meshes/body meshes.
Test Subject
#41 Old 19th Nov 2007 at 1:17 AM Last edited by Hanomaru : 19th Nov 2007 at 2:53 AM. Reason: Seemed kinda impolite before.
I'm getting an error message in the console. I doubt it has anything to do with the scripts (they're cream of awesome, by the way), but it's keeping me from importing a clothes mesh.

"UnboundLocalError: local variable 'arm' referenced before assignment"

Is there a solution to this?
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 28th Nov 2007 at 7:02 PM
Hanomaru:

Can you give a little more info? Like what you were editing, etc.?
Instructor
#43 Old 20th Jan 2008 at 7:41 PM
Thank you so much!!! You really helpd me with this tool!
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 7th Feb 2008 at 8:33 PM
Default Problem with importation to 3ds max - please help!!
Thankyou so much for these plugins
Installed Blender and plugins provided, imported the sim body .smd mesh and exported to .3ds. Imported the .3ds into max 9 in the hope of doing some animation but found that all I ended up with was a box! Could you give me any help here?

Digital Art Portfolio http://www.gcmax.co.uk
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#45 Old 8th Feb 2008 at 3:14 AM
the box is the default blender cube, it must have gotten exported instead of the mesh you imported, you should delete it first.
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 8th Feb 2008 at 8:33 AM
Thankyou Bobcatben I will try that and post any success here

Digital Art Portfolio http://www.gcmax.co.uk
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 18th Apr 2008 at 11:47 PM
You are my hero, really wonderful...thank you so much!! =)

Sims 2 Stuff by Ben Harris, Profile + Terms of Use!
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 26th Apr 2008 at 7:35 PM Last edited by TenshiiAkari12 : 26th Apr 2008 at 11:34 PM.
Hey, Ben... I just recently ran into a problem with your scripts and Blender 3D for some odd reason. (It was working perfectly fine this morning... >_< )

Anyways, I'm running on the most recent version (2.45), and like I said, I've used your scripts just fine until about thirty minutes ago, when Blender all of a sudden froze up and crashed while I tried to save my progress. I tried opening it up again, and it froze again before the splash screen came up, and crashed to the "Windows Error Reporter" box. I even rebooted the computer to see if it was a memory problem, but it still occured.

I uninstalled blender and re-installed everything, tried it without the scripts and it seemed okay. Then I re-downloaded and put your scripts back in again, tried it out, and it opened up as it should've... but as soon as I chose the "Import" function to try and do the same mesh edit I was working on again, it froze (again) and crashed once more.

I'm pretty much at a loss on what to do right now, because I was truly on a roll once I figured things out in Blender... Does it have anything to do with an unknown version compatibility issue I'm not aware of? I'm quite stumped Blender just upped and choked like it did when it's been fine before...

ETA: And as soon as it stops working, it goes on like nothing else ever happened... Don't worry about the above anymore. Sorry for the randomness. :D

Contests? Challenge? Custom Content?
Find it all, and more, in the link below!
(~☼ Sim Oasis ☼~)
Test Subject
#49 Old 14th May 2008 at 2:14 PM
Thank you so much for this BobCatBen, never in a million years did I think someone be nice enough to share something like this, as always I'm blown away by the generosity of the people here at MTS2.

I've just started tinkering with Blender, it's really easy and there are a lot of online tutorial support for it. I think I had an easier time learning this than with Photoshop, go figure.

I hope I could use something like this in the near future.

Adele, a simple tutorial for us noobs please?
Field Researcher
#50 Old 14th May 2008 at 8:39 PM
How do I put scripts in Blender? I've looked everywhere for the answer. I've done what they said, but nothing shows up. T_T

Tears rain, everytime your mouth opens with pain.
Page 2 of 4