Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

For Numenor

by wintermuteai1 Posted 24th Oct 2005 at 8:44 PM

74 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 72 Feedback Posts, 1 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 3
Scholar
#26 Old 25th Oct 2005 at 2:29 AM
Winter, It is Pretty good

"Your happiness is unrelated to anything you have inside." - Riku
Tentacle Of Righteousness
Original Poster
#27 Old 25th Oct 2005 at 2:51 AM
erm
Well, i'm not actually angry at Targa. I tend unfortunately to fly off the handle, if i percieve what i think at the time to be a comment i don't like. i am grumpy, in many ways, as just about anyone who knows me can surely attest. actually, in my opinion the picture that targa posted his statue looks great and mesh looks better. if i may propose a compromise, Perhaps Targa would be willing to publish his statue at the size he has it for the sims yard? would be great.

Peace
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 25th Oct 2005 at 3:24 AM
AAAH!!! Huge LotR fan here. I am completely in heaven now. Thank you! ^__^
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 25th Oct 2005 at 3:53 AM
Hey Targa, is there anyway to that object downloadable cause it would look good in my game.
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 25th Oct 2005 at 4:14 AM
Thanks! this will go into every neighborhood i have , because every neighborhood has something with his touch in it. Thanks again!

"The way to be safe is never to be secure." -Benjamin Franklin
Instructor
#31 Old 25th Oct 2005 at 5:10 AM
I love it,can't wait for the other one.....*hint_hint*
Book ends! LOL
:D

"S"
V^^^^V

" Enjoy LIFE, 'cause DEATH is just around the CORONER ! ©"
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 25th Oct 2005 at 5:48 AM
holy kittens Winter, this is too cool !

if you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 25th Oct 2005 at 1:27 PM
wow, I'm sorry but that is just so bloody amazing *bows down to your brillance*
I would love to add this to my game, but I can see it slowing down my game big time *shakes hand at crappy laptop*
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#34 Old 25th Oct 2005 at 7:20 PM
I'm confused now, is this your own mesh Winter, or is it one that's available somewhere for people to make their own objects with? I wouldn't mind a pointer to that site there might be meshes I could adapt for some of my stuff.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
The ModFather
retired moderator
#35 Old 25th Oct 2005 at 8:47 PM
Before anything, let me state that even if the mesh was made by another person, this doesn't diminuish at all the value of the gift that Winter made me, nor my appreciation for recieving it.

That said, there are some sites that offer, among other pay content, some free meshes for download. One of this sites was mentioned by Targa, in his previous post: Turbosquid; it offers many free meshes, and since the Licence Agreement is the same as the pay objects, the downloader has the right to reuse and repost the meshes, without even crediting anyone (as long as you don't make commercial use of it).
Another widely known site is 3D Café, that applies a similar policy.

Being a modder myself, and not a mesher, I often browse these sites, though my main source of meshes are Maxis objects

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Field Researcher
#36 Old 25th Oct 2005 at 9:31 PM
I know this is off subject but Emiejemy mentions about slow down and I've noticed a real slow down in my neighborhood overview lately, is it possible that the slow down is due to having too many neighborhood objects? Its funny the rest of the game is fine and I normally don't have any problems with my game slowing down anywhere else.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#37 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 12:11 AM
The Maxis neighborhood items are quite small, and shouldn't affect the game speed. But my Stonehenge and this Argonath statue are quite high in poly count, so maybe they are to blame. I added both my Stonehenge versions and this statue to my NH, and I didn't experience any slow-down, though (and my PC is not particularly powerful )

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

On a Radical Sabbatical :)
retired moderator
#38 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 1:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DoomAngelsc
I know this is off subject but Emiejemy mentions about slow down and I've noticed a real slow down in my neighborhood overview lately, is it possible that the slow down is due to having too many neighborhood objects? Its funny the rest of the game is fine and I normally don't have any problems with my game slowing down anywhere else.

(Offtopic a bit, but felt the need to respond)

I notice the same slowdown when I place too many Maxis neighborhood objects. The neighborhood view itself slows to a crawl. My PC isn't the best, but it shouldn't crash by adding a few buildings and trees to a Nightlife downtown:

Pentium 4 HT 2.6 GHz
1.5 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 128 MB

That should be good enough to avoid system lockup when placing Maxis apartment buildings, decorations, and trees. But my game doesn't slow down anywhere else -- only when in Neighborhood View.

So in other words, even without using these beautiful Neighborhood Object downloads created by Numenor and wintermuteai1, my game still slows down. Maybe it's just a freaky Maxis glitch that has nothing to do with their downloads?

At the moment we are trying to put our lives in order. But this is not an end in itself. Our real purpose is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God and the people about us. -- The Big Book

I will be inactive indefinitely.
Blog
The ModFather
retired moderator
#39 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 1:22 AM
Did you have these slow-downs even before NL?

On a Radical Sabbatical :)
retired moderator
#40 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 1:38 AM
No, it's a purely NL phenomenon for me (but I'm not sure about other players in this thread). I responded about it because I don't think that your objects (or wintermuteai1's objects) would be the sole cause of decreased Neighborhood performance.

The normal Maxis objects (especially the animated ones, such as clouds, birds, helicopters, search lights, etc) seem to slow down Neighborhood performance by themselves, even without placing custom Neighborhood content in the game.

At the moment we are trying to put our lives in order. But this is not an end in itself. Our real purpose is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God and the people about us. -- The Big Book

I will be inactive indefinitely.
Blog
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#41 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 8:05 AM
Thanks for the links, Numenor

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
The ModFather
retired moderator
#42 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 2:51 PM
I'm not going to comment, because I guess that there is something else, that I don't know.

In any case, I definitely agree with Winter about using the free meshes found on the Internet; as said, I'm not a mesh builder, and therefore I never go around saying "I made this mesh"; but I often say "I made this object", because from the point of view of a modder (which I am), the BHAV editing, the colour options and the accurate construction of the packages are more important then the mesh.
I guess that every modder that say "I've made this object" mean the same thing. Or at least, that's what I think when I read this type of statements from a modder

Obviously, I give credits to the mesher, when needed; in this case, it wasn't needed.

The Quiet One
retired moderator
#43 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 4:33 PM
this a wonderful object for LotR fanatics, like myself. thanks!
Scholar
#44 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 5:44 PM
WOW, this is brilliant

"Life is just a chance to grow a soul" - A. Powell Davies
Test Subject
#45 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 6:45 PM
This is one of the sweetest gestures I have ever witnessed. The object is lovely as well.

I came to this thread when there was only one response posted and stayed waiting for Numenor's response, which was predictably sweet and appreciative. What I have seen since is abominable.

Thanks again for the object and for the "moment" of believing the human race was redeemable.
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 12:19 AM
These are Amazing :clap: :clap: Congratulations

More stuff on our site Sea Sims and Sun
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 12:28 AM
These are Amazing :clap: :clap: Congratulations

More stuff on our site Sea Sims and Sun
Modding Team
#48 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 6:38 PM
wintermuteai1, this is absolutely wonderful/amazing - but I believe it needs to be marked as requiring an expansion - I can't seem to find it in my game (original only). I assume I'm to put it in my downloads folder, there was no readme/instructions with it. I know, I should go buy an expansion

Just *wow* What a wonderful addition for us LOTR fans! Thank you

Ooops, just realized I'm logged in as MM - this is Tiggerypum
The ModFather
retired moderator
#49 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 9:14 PM
You're right, the custom NH objects, as they are created by SimPE, only work with an expansion. Quaxi has explained in this post how to convert them to a base-game, but read the warning, before doing anything.

Since the custom NH objects may cause some conflicts in the base games, the creators are given the choice to provide the EP-only or both versions; anyway, if you follow Quaxi's advices, and re-use for the NH object a GUID that you have already registered for a "normal" object, then the risks of conflicts are basically null.

Test Subject
#50 Old 28th Oct 2005 at 1:00 AM
AMAZING! he deserve`s it. And also it`s a greeat thing to have in our games. THX!

[COLOR=DarkRed]simFIGstyle rules!!!!!![/COLOR]
Page 2 of 3