Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Feb 2007 at 5:22 PM Last edited by Paleoanth and Wes_h : 18th Jul 2007 at 10:49 PM. Reason: adding corvidophile2's file
Default Tutorial How to Use Recolorable Pets Collars
Tutorial: How to Use Recolorable Pets Collars

This tutorial is also provided in PDF format. To view it, we strongly suggest to download the Foxisoft PDF Viewer: it's free and small, less than 1Mb!

That is right, finally a nondefault recolorable pet collar. These will not replace Maxis collars. This was a labor of love and frustration which took me 25-30 hours and however much time Wes_h put into it doing the original research and answering my umpteen questions. Without him, this project would never have been completed. I basically did the grunt work and used his brain. I learned a lot from this project as I have no computer programming experience to speak of and this taught me mucho about how packages are put together.

Here is the tutorial on recoloring in both word and pdf formats. Thank you IgnorantBliss.

Recoloring is actually really easy. Basically all you do is clone the original package, give a new model name, update that, change the GUID in the XMOL file and add a new texture.

Get the original packages which include recoloring templates here:

http://modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=220887

Make sure you get the collars.rar package for recoloring purposes.

UPDATED July 18, 2007 to add corvidophile2's Maxis collar texture extractions
Attached files:
File Type: rar  recolor tut htm.rar (298.2 KB, 234 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  PetCollarRecoloringTutorial_PDF.rar (172.9 KB, 321 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  MTS2_575596_corvidophile2_maxis_collar_textures.rar (734.3 KB, 138 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 25th Apr 2007 at 7:04 PM
thanks
i hope this help me to do another thingy!!
i will tell you if i can do it :D
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 19th Jun 2007 at 4:07 PM
Thank you, maybe I can learn this....

Tubbyplayer You can call me Tubs
Visit my site!
http://www.freewebs.com/gameloveh/
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 13th Jul 2007 at 6:34 AM
Wow this is amazing. I've always wanted to know how to recolor things for pets and now I know how. Thank you.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 18th Jul 2007 at 3:29 AM
Hi guys, thanks for the templates! I have made some collars and i have a somewhat silly question lol

In the tutorial for dog collars where it says do the same for both small and big do you mean to give a different guid to it or just apply the same guid from the hash generator to both the small and big collar?

You will find my older and newest creations here
Instructor
#6 Old 18th Jul 2007 at 3:40 AM
Hey Corvi!

I used two different GUID's for the small and large dogs. And that is not a silly question, as I had to open up a recolor just to check to see what I did.

Cogito ergo nupta non sum.
Alchemist
#7 Old 18th Jul 2007 at 3:43 AM
Each should have it's own unique guid.

Here is another gotcha... if you edit the item after you place it in the game, but do not change the guid, you likely will not see your change, unless you delete the accessory.cache file. It seems the old stuff is filed there by guid and when it sees a match, uses the cached copy.

My recommendation would be to delete the accessory.cache file, because if you change the guid, I do not think the old information gets purged, the new copy just gets added. So the file grows, and grows...

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 18th Jul 2007 at 3:43 AM
Thanks so much Paleoanth ! :-)

Instructor
#9 Old 18th Jul 2007 at 3:45 AM
Yeah, that is a good reminder Wes. I cannot tell you how many times I forgot that and cursed my own name.

I cannot wait to see what you have done with it Corvido!

Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 18th Jul 2007 at 9:49 PM
Thanks again Wes_h and paleoanth. ( knew the bit about the cache :-P)

I have extraxted maxis collar textures ( i needed one lol but i ended up extracting all of them, i guess i was bored ) so because i think they are helpful -if anyone wants to recolor maxis ones or use as base for his own -i'll attach them here.

:-P
Attached files:
File Type: rar  maxis collar textures.rar (734.3 KB, 33 downloads) - View custom content

Instructor
#11 Old 18th Jul 2007 at 10:17 PM
Most excellent! Thank you! Why didn't I think of that? Now I feel all stupid.

Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 18th Jul 2007 at 10:37 PM
I fail to see the obvious almost always so don't feel stupid lol

Btw i think it's better if you post them at the first post because where i posted them might be missed :-)

Instructor
#13 Old 18th Jul 2007 at 10:50 PM
Done! Thanks again.

Test Subject
#14 Old 3rd Jan 2009 at 7:08 PM Last edited by Lara4484 : 3rd Jan 2009 at 7:17 PM.
How do you recolor the collars or do you already get the recolored collars. I've never made any custom contents so I don't know how to do that. Where could I find that out?
Thanks!
Field Researcher
#15 Old 11th Jan 2009 at 11:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lara4484
How do you recolor the collars or do you already get the recolored collars. I've never made any custom contents so I don't know how to do that. Where could I find that out?
Thanks!

Download the original package (link is on first post) and do as the tutorial said (1st or 2nd attach)