Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th May 2024 at 5:54 PM Last edited by simsample : 13th May 2024 at 5:07 PM.
Default What online factual/ educational media are you consuming now?
I was wondering if others like to sometimes read and watch factual material online, such as documentaries or science articles, as I do. Or perhaps you find a great recipe, or a brilliant resource for learning a language or helping with home repairs?

Please post these interesting articles, videos or resources here. Maybe readers of this thread could learn something, or pick up a new interest. It's always fascinating to see what other people are interested in, I think!

Please post individual articles or videos and perhaps describe why you found it interesting, as we do other media threads such as the 'what book are you reading thread.
Please don't just post links to entire websites, or lists of links.

By showing specifics, you can post what you have read or watched today, and people here would find something new to look at each day too.

I'll start with this one:

"What Is Beyond Edge Of The Universe?" on the Space Matters youtube channel. A fascinating discussion about the origins, nature and history of the universe, in easy to understand language. As a Brit I found the lilting accent of the narrator pleasant to follow, and the subject matter is one of my favourites too. This video gave me some interesting concepts to think about, fodder for my sci-fi writing, and avenues of further research to pursue. Perhaps a little long for the non-science fan to swallow, but it is broken into chapters so easy to come back to.

Do any of you have anything interesting to teach me, please?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 12th May 2024 at 8:45 PM
My prefered educational media is history/archeology/engineering related but only if they don't talk at you like you're stupid and if the narrator's voice doesn't make you pray for death. So the other day when I found Digging for Britain on I obviously watched it. I think it's a nicely done show even if it jumps around a lot for each site it shows during each episode. They aslo explain and speculate on things in a nice way that isn't icky like on some shows. It makes the urge to go on a Wikipedia binge really real!

There was a roman bath house somewhere in Wales but it was different to most because they found stuff (pipes??) that were only used in North Africa, so they were like aha it must be Septimus Severus (might be the other way round) and he was from Libya hence the stuff and the cool plaque showing construction was ordered by the emperor. Next somehwere in England they were like why are vilages abandoned? Like obviously: famine, plague, climate, war (or landlord kicking you out for the lols), but which one for this invisible village is it? Turns out it was abandonned cos volcanic ash from Iceland coated the village so it was uninhabitable and it was a volcano that they hadn't known had errupted during that period!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th May 2024 at 3:16 PM
Oh I found 'Digging for Britain', it's a BBC2 series. So probably only available to those in the UK.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episo...ing-for-britain
@Noa1500 I watched some of that series today, very cool programme! I do love archaeology and history, I remember watching some of the early series of that programme and enjoying them. The only problem I have with BBC documentaries is that they all seem to begin with a five minute preamble in which all the good bits are shown, which seems unecessary to me. But if you skip right to the content, and mute it when the presenter starts 'Wow!'-ing then it's all good stuff. Very interesting about the bath house, right on Hadrian's wall! And the dye stuff they found was very significant.

Thanks for reminding me of this, I'll be watching more.
Alchemist
#4 Old 13th May 2024 at 3:53 PM Last edited by Johnny_Bravo : 14th May 2024 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Didn't understand the assignment
I watch plenty of stuff, ranging from Geology, psychology, engineering(mainly car related) to Astrophysics. Sometimes I'll stumble upon an article or a paper and read it for the sake of reading it and seeing if I'm able to understand what it's about.

Edit: This channel explains philosopher's works in an understandable matter.

I come in peace
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th May 2024 at 4:58 PM
@Johnny_Bravo Could you post individual links please? I was hoping to have a kind of repository where people could pop in and find something new to look at each day, rather than just a list of channels or sites. Post a video or article or resource that you've looked at today, just one! Then post another tomorrow.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th May 2024 at 6:44 PM
Here's an article I read today, climate change and global time-keeping.
https://nautil.us/how-melting-ice-h...keeping-582709/

Quote:
The historical association of time with the rotation of Earth has meant that Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) closely follows this rotation... Here we show that increased melting of ice in Greenland and Antarctica, measured by satellite gravity,has decreased the angular velocity of Earth more rapidly than before...

Something I never even considered could happen!
Alchemist
#7 Old 19th May 2024 at 5:01 PM
For anyone interested in vehicular/automotive engineering.

The title says it. Seems rather useless for anything aside from drones, which is stated in the video.

I come in peace
Original Poster
#8 Old 19th May 2024 at 7:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Johnny_Bravo
The title says it. Seems rather useless for anything aside from drones, which is stated in the video.

Very interesting, not sure he's entirely right about the breathing not being able to be improved though. The design brought to mind the Wankel Engine for some reason, I do love seeing novel engine designs. I worked mainly with diesel engine design and manufacture when I was younger, but did a lot of messing around with petrol engines also. Thanks for posting this.

Yesterday I watched this video:

I didn't know muchabout Hadrian's Villa at Tivoli so I was looking that up, and came across this image:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...lla_in_1818.jpg
What! This is actually an " Engraving depicting Caesar Augustus' now lost painting of Cleopatra VII in encaustic, which was discovered at Emperor Hadrian's Villa (near Tivoli, Italy) in 1818"? So we actually know what Cleopatra looked like? Of course I was curious so I did a bit more digging and found out that it's apocryphal...
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistori...st_painting_of/
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/pseudodoxia/pseudo512.html
Scholar
#9 Old 25th May 2024 at 3:21 PM
Does national geographic's aircrash investigation count as educational? Couldn't find the full episode though and I dont have time to check whether the other videos cover it as nicely.

After a month long maintenance on plane completed that morning by 3rd party, plane to return to home base with 3 pilots and 3 maintenance engineers who did not perform work on this plane. The pilots had difficulty steering almost immediately after take off and experienced sudden drop through the sky. They'd assumed the problem was caused by the new computers on board, so they asked 1 maintenance guy to confirm. He also added that the cables and pulley system for the ailerons(??) was completely replaced. To check what was happening the pilots decided that the maintenance guy needed to do a visual check: which direction (up or down) were the ailerons going in when the pilots steered the plane in a particular direction? To their horror they realised that they were installed the wrong way round: which meant that steering left made the plane go right instead of left and vice versa. They also found something was wrong the thing that's like a gearshift (I missed the word for it) because they were like we're supposed to be on 2 normally but somehow only 5 works. Eveyone was conviced that the plane need to be ditched and were essentially prepared to not survive, and air control called in 2 fighter planes to assisst them getting to sea/ help them find alternatives. As the storm only kept getting worse and it was clear that diching at sea would actually be fatal, the fighter pilots suggested a military airport that had better weather conditions and to try landing their. In the end it worked but it took like 3 or 4 attempts for a safe landing. Overall they flew for 2 hours nearly all of which was trying to find a way to land or ditch.

What did the investigators learn?
1. 3rd party maintenance crews aren't necessarily as strict about following all the rules and checks that they need to do.
2. Sometimes the instuctions given to the crews are very confusing even to the people who know what they're doing.
3. Not all crew members are highly experienced and not necessarily assigned to work on parts/areas/sections equal to their experience.
4. The amount of pressure (Gs) that the plane went through was far higher than normal as the surface of the plane was all bumpy/dentend. Any higher and the plane would've torn apart.
5. Not all updates/safety fixes are applied equally around the world. Turns out the gear shify thing problem had happened on many of the same plane outside the USA because apparently it was not applied universally which is actually crazy. Apparently that's was fixed after this case was investigated.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 25th May 2024 at 3:51 PM
@Noa1500 Absolutely! Very interesting, I hadn't heard about this one. But it turns out that u/Admiral_Cloudberg covered this flight on their Medium site, which is an interesting analysis:
https://admiralcloudberg.medium.com...88-88878e2eb3c4

Amazing that the pilots managed to get the plane in, I always find accounts of these type of events fascinating, having worked for many years in Aircraft manufacture. There are many clips from that series on youtube, going to look at some more for sure!

Thanks for posting this!
Scholar
#11 Old 26th May 2024 at 11:08 AM
I was watching some house show on HGTV and the designer went to a super fancy Moroccan tile and architectual pieces store. They showed an archway that absolutely brilliant and supposedly 500 years old, and it reminded me more of the arches requently seen in Indian architecture. [small]I do know that there are various architectural styles from India but I don't know their names yet!/small]. So I was like:

If Gothic architecture is based on Islamic architecture, is Indian architecture:
a) inspired by Islamic architecture?
b) the inspiration for Islamic architecture?
c) something else (because I know nothing)?

Turns out its A and C. Kind of.

Indian architecture has a bunch of branches across different eras and regions, which makes sense because thats how time, civilisation and empires work. Anyway, what we usually think of is called Indo-Islamic architecture which first began around the 11th and 12th centuries when Islam began to spread further. Over time the two styles merged and began to do their own thing and developed into the iconic sites like the Taj Mahal that we see appearing around the 16th and later centuries.

I'm going back to my search spiral because I barely know anything about these two styles I finally have some time to obsess
I'll be back eventually to summarise what I find out and add sources